Monday, April 10, 2017

apple walnut bread


This is fast becoming my favorite bread, "Apple Walnut Bread". I use Gala apples when I can find them, they are sweetest of  all the apples to me, walnuts are my favorite but pecans are good too.

Print Recipe

300 degree oven

INGREDIENTS

Batter

3 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) melted or (oil- shortening)
2 cup sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1 cup chopped walnuts
3 large apples or 6 small (4 cups)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
1/4 tsp cardamom (optional)

Get your eggs and butter out of the refrigerator before you start, better at room temperature. I like to lightly toast the walnuts.


DIRECTIONS

Mix flour, salt, soda in large mixing bowl, add apples and walnuts and combine. In smaller bowl wisp sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and butter, as I have stated in cookie post, you can blend, fluff with emersion mixer or regular mixer or with a fork (the old fashioned way); add to flour mixture and mix until apples and walnuts are evenly distributed and batter is moist. Evenly divide between two 5x9 greased loaf pans. I made one 5x9 loaf pan and four mini pans. These make great gifts.


Bake in 300 degree oven until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, 60 to 90 minutes, depending on oven, convection, etc. Cool in pans for 10 15 minutes and turn on wire racks and allow to cool completely, I wrap mine in plastic wrap, it helps the marinade. OK, cut a small piece and taste, then cut a large piece and enjoy! As with all fruit bread it is much better the next day and the next if it last that long.


No comments:

Post a Comment