Friday, April 14, 2017

Louis Dina's "Filet Mignon with Peppercorn Sauce"

Reader's Recipes 

I've decided to add readers recipes, if they look good to me. This one "Filet Mignon with Peppercorn Sauce" is a winner.




Is this the real Luigi, I think it is. Luigi Dina! Please, leave a message.

Printed Recipe

Filet Mignon with Peppercorn Sauce

This dish is a bit on the spicy side due to the cracked pepper, but fabulous! It is normally
made with "let mignon, but can also be made using pork tenderloin or chicken. With chicken,
I’d probably substitute chicken broth in place of beef broth.
Ingredients
• 2 filet mignon steaks about 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick
• 1 Tbs butter
• pepper and salt
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 cup sliced mushrooms
• 1/4 cup chopped shallot
• 1 Tbs peppercorn blend (black, white, green, red, whatever you can "nd)
• 1/2 cup beef broth (you can use beef bullion cube in 1/2 cup water)
• 1/3 cup of heavy cream
Instructions
1. Melt butter in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly season both sides of
the "let mignon with salt and pepper. Cook beef steaks 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare.
Transfer to plate, cover and keep warm, or place in a 150°F oven to rest and stay warm. (If
cooking pork tenderloin or chicken, make sure you cook it until done, approximately 160°F -
170°F inside. I like to hammer chicken breasts #at to about 1/2” thick before cooking.)
2. While steak is cooking, use mortar and pestle to crack peppercorns. If you don’t have one,
you can place the peppercorns in a plastic ziplock bag and pound them with a mallet or
bottom of a frying pan. You don’t want them too small, just cracked. It’s okay if some of the
peppercorns remain whole.
3. In the same pan that you cooked the meat, add 1 tsp olive oil and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3
minutes. Add shallots and cook 1 minute more. Add beef broth and peppercorns and bring to
a boil. Reduce heat, and slowly whisk in heavy cream. Allow to simmer for about 3 minutes or
until thickened. If you use beef or chicken bullion cubes for your broth, you won’t need added
salt. If you use a low salt broth or stock, you may wish to add a little extra salt to taste.
4. Transfer steak to a serving platter. Pour peppercorn/shallot/mushroom sauce over the top.
Serve immediately.
Serve with warm bread to soak up sauce, salad and/or side vegetable. Delicious.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, this is the real Luigi! This dish is really good and is one of the best I've had in awhile. If you are a steak lover and like a little spice, give it a try. I plan to try it with chicken in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry,

    I am going to try this recipe with chicken breasts tomorrow night. I plan on cutting the breasts into three pieces each, pounding them flat with a mallet (about ½" thick), a little salt, pepper and light dusting of flour. Saute in butter, then let rest in a warm oven while I prepare the sauce. I will probably use a chicken bullion cube instead of beef bullion in the sauce, but the rest will stay the same. I can't see why it won't be really good. I'll let you know. Lou

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bet's on the chicken, I'm on a budget. I have Faith in you, tu gusto pollo e me alto or whatever. The readers need pictures Luigi, you the best, snap a few while cooking. Wait! You speak Italiano no espanol, keep it in English. I cooked "Salt and Vinegar Potatoes" and Ooie Gooeys today. Posted salt and vinegar, check it out<<<>>>.

    ReplyDelete