Monday, March 27, 2017

Chocolate Chunk Pecan Cookies

These chocolate chunk (chip) cookies are chocked full of Peruvian dark chocolate chunks and lightly toasted pecans. I made these cookies for several of my restaurants, I made them bigger and put a few pieces of chocolate on top for visual. I made these for me, a little more chocolate and lots of pecans, optics not important. If you have ever made chocolate chunk cookies, one look at the ingredients will send chills up your spine. This is by far and away the best I've found. Do not overcook, keep them soft.

Printable Recipe

INGREDIENTS

1 cup butter (2 sticks) Leave butter out to reach room temperature and I still nuke a little. Not to hot.
2 cups sugar (you can use 1 cup brown and one cup white)
2 eggs Not a bad idea to take out of fridge the night before.
4 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cardamom (optional) If you do not have in your cupboard, buy some on next visit to market. 
6 oz 56% chocolate cracked into chunks (or semi sweet chocolate chips)
1 cup chopped pecans


DIRECTIONS

I must say, if you like chocolate and pecans, add more to your cookies! I always lightly toast my pecans, seems to bring out more flavor and give a better crunch. I know you're asking why this recipe has cornstarch for cookies, right? It is said that cornstarch used in combination with flour can "soften" the harsh proteins of flour, making a more tender baked good. In my experience this is true, I like soft cookies, cornstarch delivers, I promise. This is that science that enters the art of cooking. Room temperature eggs make all the difference in baked goods, always take eggs out of fridge well in advance of cooking. I know if you have looked at recipes or baked cookies, they all tell you to cream butter, sugar and cream cheese until fluffy. That's fine, however mixing with a fork (the old fashion way) makes for a really good cookie as well. The sugar that's not completely dissolved melts with the heat of the oven and makes for a nice, almost caramel texture. I discovered this in Peru when all I had was a fork and a very small one at that. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar; add eggs one at a time and vanilla. mix well; combine flour, salt, cornstarch and cardamom, add to creamed mixture. Blend in chocolate and pecans. Scoop or roll into english walnut size balls, press down about half way. I used a two tablespoon scoop for the cookies you see in the picture. Of course you can make them bigger, cook time goes up with bigger cookies. Depending on oven, bake 12 to......minutes, just turning brown around the edges. Let cool completely and put in airtight container, gallon zip lock will do. Hot out of the oven cookies are great as all baked goods, we all have to taste as soon as possible. Now, cookies, baked goods always have a better flavor the next day, like a fine wine. Brace yourself! this may be the best chocolate chunk (chip) cookie you have ever put in you mouth.



No comments:

Post a Comment