Monday, March 27, 2017

Peruvian Aji Sauce

Aji Sauce

Sauces can make or break a sandwich or good dish, Aji sauce delivers. In Miraflores, Peru all restaurants, sandwich shops and local dives accompany your meal with cups of mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard and aji sauce-yellow and aji sauce-red on request. Peruvians don't eat much hot and spicy foods but aji sauce is always available for those who want a little spicy heat. The yellow has a wonderful spicy mild-hot bite, the red is in your face hot. What you see above is the paste, it is mixed with mayonnaise and a little lime juice for the sauce. This Aji sauce is habit forming, it's good on all meat, hamburgers, sandwiches, vegetables and a great dip. It's great for seasoning most everything. You can purchase the Aji Paste at larger grocery stores, specialty food stores or order online. I prefer the yellow for the taste and add the red to kick the heat up a notch. Tradiciones Andinas brand also make the red paste which I prefer over Rocoto. This is a must have for all who like a little spice in their life. Before I attempt a recipe let me explain the process, the more aji paste you add to mayonnaise the hotter it is. Unfortunately, I can't find Peruvian limes here, they are magical. They call them limons, they are green, a little smaller than a golf ball, the peel is thin and the limes are juicy with a mild taste that leaves you mystified, they have a special hand squeezer especially for these limons. Someone should import this magical fruit, a little squeeze in any pastry or cake batter explodes the flavor. If anyone knows of these Peruvian limons in the USA, please contact me immediately. Now that you know how much I enjoy Aji paste and Peruvian limons let me give you a jumping off point to make this unbelievable sauce.

Printable Recipe

                                                PERUVIAN AJI SAUCE

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon aji paste (yellow or red) or to taste
2 teaspoons lime juice or to taste
3 tablespoons mayonnaise or to taste

DIRECTIONS

Mix well, adjust to your taste. Then make a pint, it's habit forming.

Mix well, Taste, Add, Mix well, Taste......
This is what I store my Aji Sauce in
Sliced Orient Express Breast, topped with Aji Amarillo Sauce, Brown Rice-Red Quinoa topped with Mambo Sauce, Black  Eyed Peas, Mint and Green Onions. Can you say  Tasty Fusion! The Sauce is Boss!!



4 comments:

  1. Jerry, I finally found Aji Amarillo (yellow pepper) paste at Mi Pueblo at their Pelham store. It's either that, or buy it online. I couldn't find it anywhere else. I made the Aji Amarillo Sauce per your recipe and it is delicious. Really good, and I can see how it would be addictive! I had some on top of steamed broccoli last night as a side dish. That sauce would be good on fish, chicken, veggies, sandwiches…even cardboard! Thanks for the great recipe. Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, by the way, I made the Aji Amarillo Sauce using Veganaise instead of regular mayo and it was great. Oh yeah, I bought some of the red Rocoto paste and that stuff is thermonuclear in-your-face hot! Zowie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had eggs over easy with Peruvian Aji Sauce drizzled on top. Very tasty. I'm hooked on this stuff!!!
    Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, Aji Sauce is addictive! When you start dreaming about it and topping your ice cream with it, you need help. When this happens to me, I switch to mambo sauce or slaw dressing for awhile. Don't overlook the slaw dressing, it's addictive as well. One of my sisters goes into withdrawal if she runs out.

      Delete